Dena, C. (2009) Transmedia Practice: Theorising the Practice of Expressing a Fictional World across Distinct Media and Environments, PhD, University of Sydney. [see this page for download options]
- The Routledge Companion to Transmedia Studies.. (forthcoming) ‘Transmedia and Adaptation: Revisiting the No-Adaptation Argument‘, Freeman, M and Gambarato, R.R, eds. Routledge: London.
- The Johns Hopkins Guide to Digital Media (2014) ‘Transmedial Fictions’. Marie-Laure Ryan and Lori Emerson, Benjamin Robertson, eds. Baltimore: MD, Johns Hopkins University Press.
- Transmedia Practice: A Collective Approach (2014) ‘Transmedia as “UnMixed” Media Aesthetics’. Deb Polson, Ann-Marie Cook, JT Velikovsky, Adam Brackin, eds. Inter-Disciplinary Press.
- Realidade Sintética: jogos eletrônicos, comunicação e experiência social (2012) DENA, C. Práticas Emergentes da Cultura Participativa: uma análise do conteúdo gerado pelos jogadores nos alternate reality games In: ANDRADE, LA; FALCÃO, T. São Paulo: Scortecci Editora, 2012
- New Perspectives on Narrative and Multimodality (2009) ‘The Contributions of Multimodality and Polymorphic Fictions: Beyond Narrative and Games Studies’ in Ruth Page (Ed.), Routledge.
- Space Time Play: Synergies between Computer Games (2007) ‘A Quick Primer on Alternate Realities’ in Friedrich von Borries, Steffen P. Walz and Matthias Bottger (Eds), Architecture and Urbansim, Birkhauser: Basel, Boston, Berlin. ERRATA: The first sentence mistakenly says ‘Augmented Reality Games’ and not ‘Alternate Reality Games’; the photographer of the Sammeeeees photograph is ‘SpaceBass’ aka Sean C. Stacey; the ‘Daffy Google Map’ was an assemblage of the maps provided at the back of Mind Candy’s Perplex City cards.
- Dena, C. (2018) ‘How Creative Processes Are Adapting To Change The World,’ Journal of the Spanish Communication Research Association, 5 (9), 1-9.
- Co-Editor (with Brendan Keogh), Special Issue: DiGRA Australia 2017 Queensland Symposium, Transactions of the Digital Games Research Association (ToDiGRA), Vol. 3, No. 1.
- Dena, C. (2017), Finding a Way: Techniques to Avoid Schema Tension in Narrative Design, Transactions of the Digital Games Research Association (ToDiGRA), Vol. 3, No. 1.
- Dena, C. (2008) ‘ Emerging Participatory Culture Practices: Player-Created Tiers in Alternate Reality Games‘, Henry Jenkins and Mark Deuze (Eds) special issue on ‘Convergence Culture’ in Convergence Journal: International Journal of Research into New Media Technologies, Vol 14, No 1, pp: 41-57. [Companion Website]
- Marino, M., Jeremy Douglass and Christy Dena (2006) ‘We Revise Together: Blogging on Writer Response Theory‘, published on Writer Response Theory, part of Michael Benton and Laura Elkin’s (Eds) Theories and Practices of Blogging, Reconstruction, Vol.6, No.4.
- Dena, C. (2005) ‘Elements of “Interactive Drama”: Behind the Virtual Curtain of Jupiter Green‘ in Scheer, E. and Peter Eckersall (Eds.) Performance Paradigm, Vol. 1, 1.
- Dena, C. (2007) ‘Capturing Polymorphic Creations: Towards Ontological Heterogeneity and Transmodiology‘, published in Proceedings of the 4th Australasian Conference on Interactive Entertainment, ACM International Conference Proceeding Series; Vol. 305, Melbourne, Dec. DOI 10.1145/1367956.1367964.
- Dena, C. (2007) ‘The Future of Entertainment is All in Your Head: An Argument for the Age of Integration‘ published in Proceedings of the Digital Arts and Culture Conference, Perth, Sept, pp: 116-125.
- Dena, C. (2007) ‘Patterns in Cross-Media Interaction Design: It’s Much More Than a URL‘, Proceedings of 1st International Conference on Crossmedia Interaction Design, 22-25 March, Hemavan, Sweden, pp: 4-10. [Note: this paper is a primer for my keynote speech]
- Dena, C., Douglass, J. and Mark Marino (2005) ‘Benchmark Fiction: A Framework for Comparative New Media Studies’ published in Proceedings of the Digital Arts and Culture Conference, Bergen, Norway, Dec, pp: 89-98.
- Dena, C. (2017) “Comparing World Recentering Practices in the USA and Australia,” Australian and New Zealand Communication Association Conference (ANZCA), University of Sydney, Weds 4th July.
- Dena, C. (2015) ‘Transmedia Now,’ II NarTrans International Seminar Transmedial Narratives, University of Granada, Spain, 29th April.
- Dena, C. (2009) ‘From Narrative, Game and Media Studies to Transmodiology’, special session presided by Marc Ruppel, ‘(Re)Framing Transmedial Narratives’, Modern Language Association Convention, Philadelphia, 27-30th Dec.
- Dena, C. (2006) ‘A Case-Study of miniARGs: Design Issues for Creating Alternate Reality Games for Professional Training and Education’, Joint CyberGames & Interactive Entertainment 2006 Conference, Weds 6th Dec, 10am, Perth.
- Dena, C. (2006) ‘How the Internet is Holding the Center of Conjured Universes’, presented at Internet Research 7.0: Internet Convergences, Association of Internet Researchers, Hilton Hotel, Brisbane, Australia, 27-30 Sept.
- Dena, C. (2006) ‘Remediation of the Art Space in Second Life’, presented at New Media Consortium Impact of Digital Media Conference, symposium in Second Life, Oct 20th.
- Dena, C. (2006) ‘Clustering Consciousness: Towards Polymorphism’ presented at SEAFAM Research Day, University of Sydney, 16 June.
- Dena, C. (2005) ‘Texts, Worlds, Realms and Channels: Towards a Taxonomy of Polymorphic Works‘ presented at Research Seminar Series, School of Creative Arts, University of Melbourne, 17 Aug.
- Dena, C. (2005) ‘Hybrids, the Universe and Channels: A Sketch of Polymorphic Narrative’ presented at Seminar Day 4, School of Creative Arts Postgraduate Seminar Day, University of Melbourne, 27 May.
- Dena, C. (2004) Towards a Poetics of Multi-Channel Storytelling, presented at Critical Animals postgraduate conference, This Is Not Art Festival, chaired by David Wolf, Newcastle, October 1st. [PDF PPT]
- Dena, C. (2004) New Media Methodologies, Applied, presented at Contexts: School of Creative Arts Postgraduate Seminar Day , University of Melbourne, 14 May.
- Dena, C. (2004) Current State of Cross Media Storytelling: Preliminary observations for future design, presented at Crossmedia communication in the dynamic knowledge society networking session at European Information Society Technologies (IST) Event 2004: Participate in your future , The Netherlands, 15 Nov, published by IST
- Dena, C. (2003) Response as Input: The Role of Reader Response, HCI and HRI in the Modeling of a Cross Media Narrative, presented at Seismic Readings 2003 Conference School of Literary, Visual and Performance Studies, Monash University, Clayton, 17-18 July.
- Dena, C. (2003) Interacting with Ghosts: An Exploration of the Notion of Interactivity in Digital Storytelling, presented at School of Creative Arts Postgraduate Seminar Day , University of Melbourne, 11 Dec.
- Dena, C. (2003) ‘The Day My Book Went Psycho’ presented at School of Creative Arts Postgraduate Seminar Day, University of Melbourne, 2 May.
- Dena, C. (2012) ‘Scripting the Journey’, invited contribution to the special issue on ‘Rough Cuts: Media and Design in Process’, The New Everyday, curated by Kari Kraus, MediaCommons.
- Dena, C. (2010) ‘Test, Test, Test, Transmedia‘, Transmedia Now, In Media Res, curated by Elizabeth Stricker, Media Commons, 26-30 July.
- Dena, C. (2008) ‘[META] The Designer-Academic Problem‘, Electronic Book Review, [invited riposte to Jane McGonigal’s essay: “The Puppet Master Problem: Design for Real-World, Mission-Based Gaming” in Pat Harrigan and Noah Wardrip-Fruin’s edited collection: Second-Person: Role-Playing and Story in Games and Playable Media]
- Dena, C. (2008) ‘Review of Anne Friedberg’s The Virtual Window: From Alberti to Microsoft‘, Cyberculture Studies, March.
- Dena, C. (2006) ‘From X-Ray Units as Space Heaters to iPods as Storage Devices‘, Cyberculture Studies, Washington University, Nov. [Review of Marshall McLuhan’s Understanding Me]
- (2006) ‘ARGs and Academia‘, section in the Alternate Reality Games Whitepaper, International Game Developers’ Association Alternate Reality Game Special Interest Group (IGDA ARG SIG)
- Dena, C. (2004) ‘Critical Animals Don’t Chew the Fat‘, Australian National University ‘s underthesun (Conference report). Original URL: http://underthesun.anu.edu.au/weblogs/underthesun/archives/000405.html.
- (2015) Winner, “Creative and Scholarly,” SAE Southern Staff Excellence Award, SAE Creative Media Institute
Supervision & Examinations
- 2017-9 – Main Supervisor – Lipsyc, Nadja (current) From immersion to participatory storytelling: bridging Film, Nordic Larp, Virtual Reality and Mixed Reality, Artistic Research Fellowship, Norwegian Film School.
- 2017-9 – Secondary Supervisor – Levy, Cecilie (current) Travel Through Time: Recreating the Classic Short La Jetée as a Virtual Reality Experience, Artistic Research Fellowship, Norwegian Film School.
- 2018 – External Reviewer – Artistic Research Applications, Norwegian Film School.
- 2018 – External Examiner – XXX, Master of Arts (Research), QUT.
- 2017 – External Examiner – Wong, Joyce (2017) Narrative and Transmedia Branding: Storytelling in Macy’s Inc. Believe Christmas Campaign, Master of Research, Macquarie University.
- 2012 – External Examiner – Montola, Markus (2012) On the Edge of the Magic Circle: Understanding Role-Playing and Pervasive Games, Doctoral Dissertation, University of Tampere.
- 2011 – External Examiner – Bamrungpong, Silvina (2011) Stories in Motion: Transmedia as Portal. Doctoral Dissertation, Fielding Graduate University.
- 2007 – Co-supervisor – Norrington, Alison Sara (2007) The production & response to a cross-media, new media novel: Staying Single, De Montfort University
- (2005) Research Assistant, New Aesthetics, Dr Barbara Bolt, Coordinator, Visual Media, School of Creative Arts. My role is to research key texts and contemporary explorations of aesthetics, immersion and light in visual arts (material and virtual instantiations) for this ARC funded research project.
- (2003-5) Co-Project Manager and Website Creator for University of Melbourne ARC-funded Linkage Project: Risky Business . School of Creative Arts; Language, Literacy and Arts Education; Department of Criminology. Chief Investigators: Assoc. Prof Angela O’Brien, Assoc. Prof. Christine Alder, Kate Donelan. Role: To develop and manage projects created by Risky Business, administer Risky, create and maintain web presence, assist the Research Coordinator. I project managed a Comedy Mentoring Program for ‘youth-at-risk’ and top professional comedians.
- (2005) Publications Officer, School of Creative Arts, University of Melbourne. Role: Collection, categorisation and input of academic and non-academic publications for the Department of Education, Science and Training Higher Education Research Data Collection audit.
- (2004-5) GAMS Support for ARC applications, School of Creative Arts , University of Melbourne . Role: To provide technical and budgeting support to academics applying for Australia Research Council grants.
- (2003-5) Web Developer and User-Tester for University of Melbourne Student Theatre Database, School of Creative Arts, University of Melbourne . Role: To manage and administer data collection and input, user-test the database. Website: http://www.must.unimelb.edu.au/.
- (2003) Research Assistant for School of Creative Arts , University of Melbourne TALMAQ project: Compendium . Coordinated by Dr Peter Morse. Role: To research, collect, digitise and input imagery for the database, user-test and develop database, research meta-data and digital rights management
- 2011/… – Carnegie Mellon University’s ETC Press, USA
- 2016-2018 Scholarly and Research Committee, SAE Creative Media Institute
- 2003-4 Postgraduate Representative, Arts IT & Multimedia Committee, University of Melbourne
- 2003-4 IT&MM Committee Representative, Arts Web Advisory Group, University of Melbourne
- 2003-4 Student Representative, Review of Guidelines for Management of Research Data and Records Committee, University of Melbourne
- 2003-4 Student Representative, Review of IT Statutes, University of Melbourne
- European Narratology Network
- Society for the Study of Narrative Literature
- Modern Language Association
- Association of Internet Researchers…