It is important to note that despite the area being somewhat new, it already has (as is normal) people invoking the name of transdisciplinarity even though they mean other forms of already existing research approaches. Although I do attempt my own more complicated concept explication of the area in my thesis, I’ll quickly note there that there are (at least) two very different implementations of transdisciplinarity in the methodological realm: one that argues it should be about collaboration between academia & non-academia toÂ address world-scale problems, and another that argues it is a conceptual approach that can be applied to anything, by an individual or group. I personally am in the school of the latter (which is the Nicolescu school if you like), but find the information and methodological rigor of theÂ former approach invaluabe (which you’ll find at the td-net site, Handbook & Principles books). There is also ‘transdisciplinarity’ as an artistic approach (which is the leaning of the Planetary Collegium and others). I don’t use transdisciplinarity in that sense.
- Nicolescu, B. (2008) Transdisciplinarity: Theory and Practice, Cresskill, NJ, Hampton Press
- Hirsch Hadorn, G.; Hoffmann-Riem, H.; Biber-Klemm, S.; Grossenbacher-Mansuy, W.; Joye, D.; Pohl, C.; Wiesmann, U.; Zemp, E. (Eds) (2008) Handbook of Transdisciplinary Research
- Pohl, C. and G. Hirsch Hadorn (2007) Principles for Designing Transdisciplinary Research [this book has a great concept explication and appendix of all the different definitions of transdisciplinarity, as well as guidance as to the design of such research]
- Nicolescu, B. (2002) Manifesto of Transdisciplinarity, Albany, State University of New York Press [ah, where it all began — for me]
- Klein, J. T., W. Grossenbacher-Mansuy, et al. (2001) Transdisciplinarity: Joint Problem Solving Among Science, Technology, and Society: An Effective Way for Managing Complexity, Basel ; Boston, BirkhÃ¤user.
- Guattari, F. (1995) Chaosmosis: An Ethico-Aesthetic Paradigm, Bloomington, Indiana University Press.
- Burnett, R. (2005) ‘Disciplines in Crisis: Transdisciplinary Approaches in the Arts, Humanities and Sciences’Â Â RetrievedÂ fromÂ http://www.eciad.ca/~rburnett/transdisciplinary.html.
- Hunsinger, J. (2005) ‘Toward a Transdisciplinary Internet Research’, The Information Society 21: 277â€“279.
- Genosko, G. (2003) ‘FÃ©lix Guattari: Towards a Transdisciplinary Metamethodology’, Angelaki: The Journal of the Theoretical Humanities 8(1): 129 – 140.
- Judge, A. (1994) ‘Transdisciplinarity through Structured Dialogue: Beyond sterile dualities in meetings to the challenge of participant impotence’ RetrievedÂ fromÂ http://www.laetusinpraesens.org/docs/trandis.php.
- Judge, A. (1994) ‘Transdisplinarity-3 as the Emergence of Patterned Experience: Transcending duality as the conceptual equivalent of learning to walk (Part I)‘Â RetrievedÂ from http://www.laetusinpraesens.org/docs/tranpat1.php.
- Judge, A. (1994) ‘Transdisplinarity-3 as the Emergence of Patterned Experience: Transcending duality as the conceptual equivalent of learning to walk (Part II)‘ Retrieved 10 Jan, 2008, from http://www.laetusinpraesens.org/docs/tranpat2.php.
- Lattanzi, M. (1998) ‘Transdisciplinarity: Stimulating Synergies, Integrating Knowledge’, UNESCO Documents and Publications. Geneva, UNESCO, Division of Philosophy and Ethics. [PDF]
- (2000). ‘Seb Henagulph’s ‘Three Pillars of Transdisciplinarity’ RetrievedÂ fromÂ http://www.goodshare.org/pillars.htm.
- Mittelstrass, J. (2001) ‘On Transdisciplinarity’, Science and the Future of Mankind, Vatican City: Pontifical Academy of Sciences, The Holy See. [PDF]
- Nicolescu, B. (2003, 21 May) ‘Convergence and differences between the two approaches of transdisciplinarity‘, RetrievedÂ from http://www.interdisciplines.org/interdisciplinarity/papers/5/22#_22.
- Nicolescu, B. and A. T. D. Alvarenga (2008 ) ‘Interview of Basarab Nicolescu on the history of transdisciplinarity’, email@example.com, CIRET List.
- Nowotny, H. (2003, 1 May) ‘The Potential of Transdisciplinarity’,Â Rethinking Interdisciplinarity,Â RetrievedÂ fromÂ http://www.interdisciplines.org/interdisciplinarity/papers/5.
- Volckmann, R. and B. Nicolescu (2007) ‘Transdisciplinarity: Basarab Nicolescu Talks with Russ Volckmann’, Integral 4: 73-90. [PDF]
- International Center for Transdisciplinary Research and Studies (CIRET) + ListservÂ [Nicolescu publishes interviews and essays through this list]
- NetworkÂ for Science and the Humanities (td-net) + ListservÂ + Bibliography [the listserv & bibliography provides top-notch current info about the area]
- Roy Ascott’s Planetary Collegium – Zurich nodeÂ + Facebook Group
- Transdisciplinary book series-Â ListservÂ [low, almost non-existent,Â traffic as yet]
- TransdisciplinarityCV – Jorge Sousa Brito’s blog
- Dr. Sue McGregor explains â€˜The Nature of Transdisciplinary Research and Practiceâ€™ in this 30 minute interview that is available for online streaming [I don’t subscribe to all of her definitions of transdisciplinarity, but the video is interesting nevertheless]
I’d love to hear of any resources you think I’d be interested in!