Dena, C. (2009) Transmedia Practice: Theorising the Practice of Expressing a Fictional World across Distinct Media and Environments, PhD, University of Sydney. [see this page for download options]
- The Johns Hopkins Guide to Digital Media (2014) ‘Transmedial Fictions’. Marie-Laure Ryan and Lori Emerson, Benjamin Robertson, eds. Baltimore: MD, Johns Hopkins University Press.
- Transmedia Practice: A Collective Approach (2014) ‘Transmedia as “UnMixed” Media Aesthetics’. Deb Polson, Ann-Marie Cook, JT Velikovsky, Adam Brackin, eds. Inter-Disciplinary Press.
- Realidade Sintética: jogos eletrônicos, comunicação e experiência social (2012) DENA, C. Práticas Emergentes da Cultura Participativa: uma análise do conteúdo gerado pelos jogadores nos alternate reality games In: ANDRADE, LA; FALCÃO, T. São Paulo: Scortecci Editora, 2012
- The Emerging Writer: An Insider’s Guide to Your Writing Journey (2012) “The Scaredy Cat Factor” published in “The Emerging Writer: An Insider’s Guide to Your Writing Journey”
- A Creator’s Guide to Transmedia Storytelling (2012) Section in Andrea Phillips’ book
- Comics for Film, Games, and Animation: Using Comics to Construct your Transmedia Storyworld (2012) Interviewed in Tyler Weaver’s book
- Hand Made High Tech (2011) ‘Do You Have a Big Stick?’, if:book Australia
- New Perspectives on Narrative and Multimodality (2009) ‘The Contributions of Multimodality and Polymorphic Fictions: Beyond Narrative and Games Studies’ in Ruth Page (Ed.), Routledge.
- Cross-Media Communications: an Introduction to the Art of Creating Integrated Media Experiences – ‘Creating Quality Cross-Media Experiences‘, ETC Press; 35-37
- Space Time Play: Synergies between Computer Games (2007) ‘A Quick Primer on Alternate Realities’ in Friedrich von Borries, Steffen P. Walz and Matthias Bottger (Eds), Architecture and Urbansim, Birkhauser: Basel, Boston, Berlin. Chapter available for download. ERRATA: The first sentence mistakenly says ‘Augmented Reality Games’ and not ‘Alternate Reality Games’; the photographer of the Sammeeeees photograph is ‘SpaceBass’ aka Sean C. Stacey; the ‘Daffy Google Map’ was an assemblage of the maps provided at the back of Mind Candy’s Perplex City cards.
- Fare Cross-Media: From Big Brother to Star Wars, Theory and Techniques of the Integrated and Distributed Use of Simultaneous Media (2005) ‘Punto, Linea E Superficie’ in Giovagnoli, M., Dino Audino Editore, pp.126-129.
- Real Time Arts commissioned me to write a profile of artist Chris Howlett and his ARG “ARGARMENIA”
- Cordite Literary Review commissioned me to write an article. I wrote about ‘Emotion and the Self in Games‘
- WIDGET commissioned me to write for their site. I wrote about what being an initiator is like: ‘An Initiate’s Guide to Map-Less Spaces‘
- The Conversation commissioned me to write for the launch of their Arts & Culture section. I wrote about the ideas informing my Cube residency: ‘Beyond Terminator: robots‘
- ABC Splash commissioned me to write about teaching transmedia. I wrote an intro article and an article about the techniques I use: ‘Transmedia Stories and Games Explained‘ & ‘Opening the door to transmedia projects‘
- Inspired by conversations and events, I wrote a blog post ‘You Suck at Seeing Transmedia Change‘
- Interview with me in Tyler Weaver’s book “Comics for Film, Games, and Animation“
- Interview with me in Carlos Scolari’s book “Transmedia Narrative“
- Interview with me in Simon Staffan’s “Year in Now Media” publication
- MediaCommons – Invited article for MediaCommons on my adaptation of the screenplay format for my web audio adventure AUTHENTIC
- Meanland – “Some Things I’ve Learned about Transmedia Worldbuilding”
- Meanland – ‘Do you go both ways?‘, 16 March
- ‘Event-Based Screening Experiences‘, Support Your Local Cinema, 13 July
- ‘Transmedia for Event-based Arts‘, Connecting: Arts Audiences Online, Australia Council for the Arts, 13 July
- ‘The Process of Creating Quality Transmedia Experiences‘, Connecting: Arts Audiences Online, Australia Council for the Arts, 1 July
- ‘Christy Dena on the Creative Potential of Cross-Platform‘, Tribeca Film Institute, 22 Feb, 2011 (the articles were moved after launch and so that is why the sharing stats are low – they weren’t before!)
- ‘Do You Have a Big Stick?‘, Institute for the Future of the Book, 7 Feb
- ‘Going Indie for Meaningfulness and Money‘, IGDA Perspectives Newsletter, ARG SIG Edition, Sept. [PDF]
- ‘Test, Test, Test, Transmedia‘, Transmedia Now, In Media Res, 26-30 July
- ‘Addressing Contemporary Media Use‘, Canvas 8, 13th March [subscription only]
- ‘Creating Quality Cross-Media Experiences‘, Cross-Media Communications: an Introduction to the Art of Creating Integrated Media Experiences, ETC Press; 35-37
- ‘Addressing Changing Transmedia Behaviour’, Canvas8, 9th December[subscription only]
- Dena, C. (2008) ‘The Who, What, When, Where, Why & How of Cross-Media‘, DIYDays, From Here to Awesome, July. [PPT contribution – online at DIYDays.com]
- Dena, C. (2008) ‘[META] The Designer-Academic Problem‘, Electronic Book Review, [invited riposte to Jane McGonigal’s essay: “The Puppet Master Problem: Design for Real-World, Mission-Based Gaming” in Pat Harrigan and Noah Wardrip-Fruin’s edited collection: Second-Person: Role-Playing and Story in Games and Playable Media]
- Dena, C. (2008) ‘Review of Anne Friedberg’s The Virtual Window: From Alberti to Microsoft‘, Cyberculture Studies, March.
- Dena, C. (2008) ‘, ‘Cyber-Conceived/Cyber-Birthed Films: Christy Dena on Making and Distribution at DestFest‘, Real Time, 83, Feb-March, pp: 22.
- Dena, C. (2008) ‘Playing the Moon: Christy Dena on the Fate of New Media Art‘, Real Time, 83, Feb-March, pp: 27.
- Dena, C. (2008) ‘Emerging Participatory Culture Practices: Player-Created Tiers in Alternate Reality Games‘, Henry Jenkins and Mark Deuze (Eds) special issue on ‘Convergence Culture’ in Convergence Journal: International Journal of Research into New Media Technologies, Vol 14, No 1, pp: 41-57. [Also see specially created Online Augmentation Website]
- Dena, C. (2007) ‘Capturing Polymorphic Creations: Towards Ontological Heterogeneity and Transmodiology‘, published in Proceedings of the 4th Australasian Conference on Interactive entertainment , ACM International Conference Proceeding Series; Vol. 305, Melbourne, Dec.
- Dena, C. (2007) ‘The Future of Entertainment is All in Your Head: An Argument for the Age of Integration‘ published in Proceedings of the Digital Arts and Culture Conference, Perth, Sept, pp: 116-125.
- Dena, C. (2007) ‘Patterns in Cross-Media Interaction Design: It’s Much More Than a URL‘, Proceedings of 1st International Conference on Crossmedia Interaction Design, 22-25 March, Hemavan, Sweden, pp: 4-10. [Note: this paper is just a primer for my keynote speech]
- Dena, C. (2007) ‘Authors that Think Outside the Book‘, in Workbook Project, 2nd Aug.
- Dena, C. (2007) ‘Filmmakers that Think Outside the Film‘, in Workbook Project, 4th June.
- Dena, C. (2007) ‘Playing with Reality in Virtual Worlds‘, RealTime, 77, Feb-March, Open City, Sydney [Commissioned article on the CyberGames Conference]
- Dena, C. (2007) ‘Second Front Online Performance Art‘, RealTime, 77, Feb-March, Open City, Sydney [Commissioned snapshot of an art performance event in the online virtual world Second Life]
- Dena, C. (2007) ‘Border Art‘. Originally published in SLATE: Second Life Arts & Total Entertainment Magazine, issue 6, Jan [Online] Was Available at: http://www.slatenight.com/index.php?option=com_mycontent&task=view&id=136&Itemid=41 [article on JC Freemont’s virtual world art and SL performance troupe Second Front]
- Dena, C. (2006)How the Internet is Holding the Center of Conjured Universes, presented at Internet Research 7.0: Internet Convergences, Association of Internet Researchers, Hilton Hotel, Brisbane, Australia, 27-30 Sept.
- (2006) ‘ARGs and Academia‘, section in the Alternate Reality Games Whitepaper, International Game Developers’ Association Alternate Reality Game Special Interest Group (IGDA ARG SIG)
- (2006) Presenter, Laboratory of Advanced Media Production Residential. Held at Swan Valley, Perth. Funded by the Australian Film, Television and Radio School, May. [PDF = Handout] Link to podcast
- (2006) Invited speaker on Findability and Attracting Audiences for the Australian Film, Television and Radio School Center for Screen Business seminar on Digital Distribution, 11th April, Melbourne. [PDF = PPT]
- Dena, C. (2006) ‘The White Cube of the Virtual World Art Space, part two‘. Originally published in SLATE: Second Life Arts & Total Entertainment Magazine, issue 2, Sept [Online] Was Available at: http://www.slatenight.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=86&Itemid=40 [article on remediation and the virtual art space]
- Dena, C. (2006) ‘The White Cube of the Virtual World Art Space, part one‘. Originally published in SLATE: Second Life Arts & Total Entertainment Magazine, issue 2, Sept [Online] Was Available at: http://www.slatenight.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=85&Itemid=40 [article on remediation and the virtual art space]
- Dena, C. (2006) ‘A Commanding Conversation‘. Originally published in SLATE: Second Life Arts & Total Entertainment Magazine, issue 1, Aug [Online] Was Available at: http://www.slatenight.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=51&Itemid=40 [article on a magic wand in the virtual world of Second Life and illocutionary force]
- Dena, C. (2006) ‘Art and Aporia: Imaging Place‘, SLATE: Second Life Arts & Total Entertainment Magazine, issue 3, Sept [Online] Was Available at: http://www.slatenight.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=96&Itemid=40 [article on JC Freemont’s virtual world art and the theories of Gregory Ulmer]
- Dena, C. (2006) ‘From X-Ray Units as Space Heaters to iPods as Storage Devices‘, Cyberculture Studies, Washington University, Nov. [Review of Marshall McLuhan’s Understanding Me]
- Dena, C. (2006) ‘The University: A New Home for New Media?‘, RealTime, 74, August/September, Open City, Sydney [Commissioned article on new media arts educators]
- Dena, C. (2006) ‘Your Story: Your Medium‘, RealTime , 72, April/May, Open City, Sydney [Commissioned article on the International Digital Storytelling Conference, ACMI, Melb]
- Dena, C. (2006) ‘A Second Life: Living Online‘, RealTime, 75, October/November, Open City, Sydney [Commissioned article on the virtual world Second Life]
- Dena, C. (2006) ‘Digital Media: How to Make Audiences Feel it is All About Them‘, ScreenHub, 14 Aug (subscription only) [Review of XMediaLab Professional Day Conference 06]
- Marino, M., Jeremy Douglass and Christy Dena (2006) ‘We Revise Together: Blogging on Writer Response Theory‘, published on Writer Response Theory, part of Michael Benton and Laura Elkin’s (Eds) Theories and Practices of Blogging, Reconstruction, Vol.6, No.4.
- Dena, C. (2006) ‘Itâ€™s Alive!: Lost ARG has begun‘, Cross-Media Entertainment, 4 May [analysis of design principles of the Lost ARG]
- Dena, C. (2005) ‘Elements of “Interactive Drama”: Behind the Virtual Curtain of Jupiter Green ‘ in Scheer, E. and Peter Eckersall (Eds.) Performance Paradigm, Vol. 1, 1, [Online] Available at: http://www.performanceparadigm.net (free registration)
- Dena, C., Douglass, J. and Mark Marino (2005)Benchmark Fiction: A Framework for Comparative New Media Studies published in Proceedings of the Digital Arts and Culture Conference, Bergen, Norway, Dec, pp: 89-98.
- Dena, C. (2005) ‘ The Creative Degree as Interface‘ , 68, RealTime , Open City, Sydney, August, p:32-33 [Commissioned article on new media postgraduates]
- Dena, C. (2005) ‘ Bots just wanna chat ‘, Writer Response Theory, 28th May. [article on BBC’s Jamie Kane ; cited in “Jamie Kane” entry in Wikipedia ]
- Dena, C. (2005) ‘ Game Botmasters ‘, Writer Response Theory, 9th April. [article on Media Republic’s Eccky ]
- Dena, C. (2005) ‘ How a Bot-God is Made ‘, Writer Response Theory, 23rd Feb. [article on Ron Ingram’s Buddhabot ]
- Dena, C. (2004) Towards a Poetics of Multi-Channel Storytelling, presented at Critical Animals postgraduate conference, This Is Not Art Festival, chaired by David Wolf, Newcastle, October 1st. [PDF PPT]
- Dena, C. (2004) New Media Methodologies, Applied, presented at Contexts: School of Creative Arts Postgraduate Seminar Day , University of Melbourne, 14 May.
- Dena, C. (2004) Current State of Cross Media Storytelling: Preliminary observations for future design, presented at Crossmedia communication in the dynamic knowledge society networking session at European Information Society Technologies (IST) Event 2004: Participate in your future , The Netherlands, 15 Nov, published by IST
- Dena, C. (2004) ‘ Game to Play ‘, 64, RealTime , Open City, Sydney, p.31 [Commissioned review of GameTime exhibitions]
- Dena, C. (2004) ‘ Addressing the Room: Are You Talking to Me? In Conversation with. ‘, 63, RealTime , Sydney.
- Dena, C. (2004) ‘ Bloody Thing Doesn’t Speak English: Bow Wow ‘, 63, RealTime , Sydney.
- Dena, C. (2004) ‘ Byte-Can Art:: Retypescape ‘, 63, RealTime , Sydney.
- Dena, C. (2004) ‘ Configuring Verandah Space: DataDifference Conference ‘, 63, RealTime , Sydney , pp. 28.
- Dena, C. (2004) ‘ Learning, Not Meaning: House of Tomorrow ‘, 63, RealTime , Sydney.
- Dena, C. (2004) ‘ Sixth Sense, Third Body: Perceptual Difference: Vision Systems ‘, 63, RealTime , Sydney.
- Dena, C. (2004) ‘ Unheimlich Sex: Linda Erceg Interview: Perceptualdifference ‘, 63, RealTime , Sydney.
- Dena, C. (2004) ‘ Critical Animals Don’t Chew the Fat ‘, Australian National University ‘s underthesun (Conference report)
- Dena, C. (2003) Response as Input: The Role of Reader Response, HCI and HRI in the Modeling of a Cross Media Narrative, presented at Seismic Readings 2003 Conference School of Literary, Visual and Performance Studies, Monash University, Clayton, 17-18 July.
- Dena, C. (2003) Interacting with Ghosts: An Exploration of the Notion of Interactivity in Digital Storytelling, presented at School of Creative Arts Postgraduate Seminar Day , University of Melbourne, 11 Dec.
Dena, C. (2003) ‘Postgraduate student feedback on ‘Guidelines for the Management of Research Data and Records’: Report of the 2003 survey‘, conducted and compiled for the University of Melbourne Review of the Guidelines for the Management of Research Records and Data Committee. [Quantitative and qualitative analysis of informal survey which has subsequently been utilised by an ARC Postdoctoral Fellow in the Department of Linguistics and Applied Linguistics at the University of Melbourne in an ‘e-research’ proposal.]
Dena, C. (2003) ‘ICT and Disability & Access in the Faculty of Arts‘, submitted successfully to the University of Melbourne Arts IT and Multimedia Committee, April.
- Dena, C. (2003) ‘ Who’s Driving This Engine? ‘ Strange Attractors: An Animation Showcase , ABC New Media [Website = Winner: Best Cultural Website 2004 AIMIA Multimedia Awards] Commissioned 1,500 word critical essay. [Review of Simon Norton’s Testimony: A Story Machine]
- Dena, C. (2003) ‘Mimesis of What?‘ Australian Book Review , 251, Australian Book Review Inc., Melbourne , pp. 62 [Review of Darren Tofts, Annemarie Jonson and Alessio Cavallaro (eds) Prefiguring Cyberculture]
- Dena, C. (1996) â€˜The Digital Directionâ€™, Wizards of Oz, The Thirteenth Book, Armadillo Publishers, Melbourne, pp: 110-113. [Essay on digital effects on TV for advertising industry source book]
- Dena, C. and McMahon, K. (1996) ‘And In Our Madness We Rave.’, Real Time , no. 11.